Wednesday 16 May 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16th May, 2018

16th May, 2018.

Bugger … !


Bugger, and double bugger!

I’ve lost my gas card!

I don’t know about you, but I pay for my gas on a pay-as-you-go tariff.

For lots of reasons, I should add.

One of them?   Simply the fact I can see how much is on my metre, and vary the amount I pay, according to need … and what’s already on the metre.

I topped up, last night: at a Chelmsford branch of the Co-op.

Get home … went to get my card, to put it in the metre … 

Only to find it wasn’t in my wallet … 

I’d either lost it: don’t I can see the funny comments!

Or I’ve left the blessed thing at the Co-op.   Something I plan to check when I go to work, tonight.

I know I can ALSO phone my suppliers.

Normally?

I’d prefer not to bother getting a new one.

No, really.

The fact I’m going to have to … ?   And largely mostly because of my own silliness?

Means I’ll be kicking myself until I find it … 

~≈§≈~

Just as a brief thought … ?   Before I move on … ?

It turns out Margot Kidder, who played Lois Lane in the Christopher Reeve Superman movies of the 70s And 80s, has died at the age of 69.

That’s sad.

I can remember seeing her play the part.

And feel no-one since?   Managed to pin a tough-as-nails reporter to the floor.

No-one else played Lois, the way Margot Kidder did.

Lois has died with her, as far as I’m concerned.


~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Sir Thomas More resigned his post: on 16th May, 1532.   What government post was that: Prime Minister, Lord Chancellor or Chief Secretary to the Treasury?
Q2) 16th May, 1888, saw a lecture given: about The use, generation and transmission of electricity by alternating current.   By which scientist?
Q3) The Triton Fountain was formally switched: on 16th May, 1959.   It’s in the capital of which island nation?
Q4) 16th May, 1955, saw the birth of singer and actress, Hazel O’Connor.   In which 1980 film did she play Kate?
Q5) Finally … ?   16th May, 1919, saw the birth of which pianist?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Who was named as (effectively) Britain’s first Prime Minister: on 15th May, 1730?
Q2) Who was named as his first female, French equivalent: on 15th May, 1991?
Q3) The Roman Empire dedicated a temple to Mercury: on 15th May, 495 BC.   Mercury was The ancient Roman god of what: communication, farming or war?
Q4) Papal Bull, Ad extirpanda, was published on 15th May, 1252.   It allowed the Inquisition to do limited amounts of what, to heretics?
A4) Torture.   (I like the ‘limited’ … )
Q5) Finally … what venue opened in Covent Garden: on 15th May, 1858.
Here’s a thought …
“With a note of music, one strikes the fundamental, and, in addition to the root note, other notes are generated: these are called the harmonic series...As one fundamental note contains within it other notes in the octave, two fundamentals produce a remarkable array of harmonics, and the number of of possible combinations between all the notes increases phenomenally. With a triad, affairs stand a good chance of getting severely out of hand...”
Robert Fripp, born 16th May, 1946.
And a song …

.

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Welcome back, Olga!   (Did I mention Will You, by Hazel O’Conner?   It’s possibly THE best love song in the English language … !)

†        I think a lack of shelf space is universal, Debbi!   At any rate, my usual back drop is my front room: complete with yellow on the walls.   Basically anything behind me, and my FaceTime camera! If it was sunny Maryland … !   (I tend to close my blinds when I’m recording during daylight: if I don’t I get a shiny forehead.   I ALSO have a lamp: for evenings.)


3 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Bugger …

I found my gas payment card.

Five minute’s after ordering a new one!

Talk about embarrassing … !

Olga said...

Q1) Lord Chancellor
Q2) Nikola Tesla
Q3) Malta
Q4) Breaking Glass
Q5) Liberace
Cards are so easy to misplace... I kept trying to find the card to access health services in Europe and eventually gave up and asked for a replacement. It had expired by then but...
And recently the bank has sent me two cards for the same account... Oh well.
Great song!

Debbi said...

I'll need to get a laptop or iPad to manage a blank wall as a backdrop. :)

1. Lord Chancellor
2. Nikola Tesla
3. Malta
4. Breaking Glass
5. Liberace