Monday 19 February 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19th February, 2018

19th February, 2018.

Yep: it’s a official.

I owe my family a great big thank you.

They’ve gone and treated me to a new computer.

You can possible guess the brand, can’t you … ?

Right now … ?

Right now, I’ve got to confess I’m still transferring stuff over from my old machine: when setting up this Mac, I made the decision to try and import everything from my Time Machine Backup.

Which didn’t take.

So, instead, I decided to import everything from my old Mac over my local network: rather than directly connect the things.

The slow and fiddly way, in other words.

I’m ALSO still getting used to the interface.

It’a familiar enough that I can start using using it, yesterday.

But different enough to confuse me.

And automatically capitalises the letter ‘I’: which is awkward if you’re trying to write a post with raw HTML tags.

Still … 

I’d possibly only get bored if things stay the same … !

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and Video … 

Q1) 19th February, 1911, saw the birth of actress, Estelle Thompson.   How was she better known?
Q2) 19th February, 1968, saw a High Court judge award damages to children born with serious birth deformities.   Birth deformities caused by which drug?
Q3) 19th February, 1985, saw Iberia Airlines Flight 610 crash: whilst on route from Madrid … to where?
Q4) Which astronomer was born on 19th February, 1473?
Q5) Finally … 19th February, 1954 saw the Soviet Union handed the Crimea from the Russian Soviet Republic: to which other soviet republic?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) In the Gregorian calendar, 18th February is the 49th day of the year.   What’s the square root of 49?
A1) 7.
Q2) 18th February, 675 saw the death of Saint Colmán of Lindisfarne.   Lindisfarne is of the north-east coast of England: and also know as what Island: Holy Island, Monk’s Island or Abbot’s Island?
A2) Holy Island.   (As I recall?   It was one of the centres of Celtic Christianity.)
Q3) Fox hunting was banned in the UK: on 18th February, 2005.   Fox hunting was traditionally done on horse-back: and with what?
A3) Dogs.
Q4) 18th February, 1980, saw the birth of Kazakh-Canadian sportsman, Nik Antropov.   He plays what: field hockey, ice hockey or bandy?
A4) Ice Hockey.   (I think ‘field’ hockey is what we in the UK mean by hockey: indeed, my youngest sister played it at school.   Bandy?   Yes, that the real name …)
Q5) Finally … 18th February, 2017, saw the death of activist, Norma McCorvey.   She’d been the plaintiff in the court case that saw the US — effectively — legalize what: cannabis use, video piracy or abortion?
A5) Abortion.   (Ironically?   She later became a pro-life activist.)
Here’s a thought …
“Well, you create your own persona, don’t you? And you have to live with that. But the people that I meet, they don’t think that I’m a lunatic. And if they do, then that’s OK, because it means that I’m playing the parts all right.”
Ray Winstone, born 19th February, 1957.
And a song … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a nice day …





*        Well … the set up’s going to take a bit longer, Olga: I still need to get everything transferred!   But I’m part way to three monitors: once I’ve got the extra cable sorted … Doors can be handy, that way: at least for Amusing Comedy Moments!   (She does sound messy: but possibly not as messy as Linda Lovelace.)


†        THINK I’ve got got the two favourite blogs so far, Debbi: and yours is one of them!   (I’m going to have to look that Abe Lincoln one up!)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Merle Oberon
Q2) Thalidomide
Q3) Bilbao
Q4) Nicolaus Copernicus
Q5) Ukrainian SSR
Yes. Technology is all well and good, the problem is that we're not as fast at catching up (have you had any updates to your brain uploaded recently? Me neither!)

Debbi said...

Thanks, Paul! Good to get the kudos from a fellow blogger/Doctor Who fan! :)

1. I haven't a clue! But I've discovered a new crime fiction author! :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estelle_Thompson
2. Thalidomide
3. Bilbao
4. Copernicus
5. Ukraine

You can click on the link I left here to check it out! The Lincoln post, that is.