Sunday 11 February 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11th February, 2018

11th February, 2018.


Hmm … It’s morning … 

And?

As ever on a Sunday morning, I’ve got the radio on.

Radio 3*, if you must know.

Usually, I’ve got no problem Radio 4’s Sunday Service.

Except this morning’s seemed just a little bit too happy clappy.

It’s just a little bit too enthusiastic, first thing on a Sunday morning!

~≈§≈~

One thing I did catch, though?   Before I turned over?

Was the Radio 4 appeal, for this week: on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Society.

Speaking as both a Terry Pratchett fan, and as the grandson of someone lost to it?

It’s a VERY good cause.   If you wanted to make a donation, you can do via the Radio 4 donation page, here: or through the Alzheimer’s Society donation page, here.

Sir Terry Pratchett put it like this, once.

Demons need naming … in order for us to be able to fight them.

Unfortunately, they also need cash.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The Lateran Treaty was signed on 11th February, 1929.   Between Vatican City … and where?
Q2) The latter country paid the Vatican how much — in cash, and on the spot — as a result: 250 000 000 lire, 500 000 000 lire or 750 000 000 lire?
Q3) 11th February saw Benedict 16th announce he would be resigning as pope: by the end of the month.   In which year?
Q4) The BBC aired what was the world’s first science fiction themed TV show: on 11th February, 1938.   The show was a version of which play?
Q5) Finally … 11th February, 1926, saw the birth of actor Leslie Nielsen.   In which 1956 film did play Commander John J. Adamsª?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Roy Lichtenstein’s first solo exhibition opened: on 10th February of which year?
A1) 1962.
Q2) That exhibition included a painting called Look Mickey.   Name either of the cartoon characters in Look Mickey.
A2) Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse.
Q3) The painting used what, in order to create colour: dots, lines or squares?
A3) Dots: ones called Ben-Day Dots.
Q4) Lichtenstein’s known as a what artist?
A4) A Pop artist.
Q5) Which Lichtenstein’s work shows one jet plane shooting, and destroying, another?
A5) Whaam!.
Q6) That painting used a mix of paints.   Oil, and what: pastel, acrylic or gouache?
A6) Acrylic.
Q7) “I don’t care!   I’d rather sink — than call Brad for help!”   Name that Lichtenstein painting.
Q8) Lichtenstein’s Masterpiece is one of the most expensive paintings ever sold.   How much did it sell for, in US dollars, in January of 2017?
Q9) Another big selling Lichtenstein painting, Woman with Flowered Hat, went for $56 million dollars.   It’s based on a painting by whom?
Q10) Finally … Lichtenstein’s last commissioned work was the logo for a record label: one co-owned by David Geffen.   What was the label?
A10) DreamWorks Records.   (The label was co-owned by Geffen … and Steven Spielberg.)
Here’s a thought …
“The fashionable woman is sexy, witty, and dry-cleaned.”
Mary Quant, born 11 February 1934.
And a tune … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*          Ahem!   Pointless opinionated video … about instruments.


†        Oh, I try to never take my seriously, Olga^: it’s usually helpful!   And I saw the statue: I was half thinking of doing a question on it, but couldn’t think of one that DIDN’T have Barcelona as the answer.   The name, El Cap de Barcelona would have been a BIG clue!   (Yeah, I’ve solved the feedback: the echo issue is something I’m STILL working on!)

‡        Oh, tell me about it, Debbi^!   You should see the bits I edited out!   And, yes, I’m seriously thinking an intro would be good.   I’m thinking some sort of video collage would be the thing, at the mo, and that I’ll need to really give iMovie a work over … !

^        I know it’s not necessarily you field, Olga: and Debbi, I don’t know it it’s not software you use … but has either of you any thoughts about this … ?

ª        It wasn’t in these adverts … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Kingdom of Italy
Q2) 750 000 000 lire
Q3) 2013
Q4) R.U.R. by Karel Čapek
Q5) Finally … 11th February, 1926, saw the birth of actor Leslie Nielsen. In which 1956 film did play Commander John J. Adamsª? Forbidden Planet (funnily enough, I was trying to clear out some of my paperwork and I found postcards from several films, including one for Forbidden Planet, yesterday. And yes, I kept them…)
I like the idea of the presentation video (I’ve seen people using animated headings or logos on their blogs or Facebook pages and they look pretty good too, although I think they got somebody to do them…). No idea on the options, although technology bloggers, Which, or even You Tube itself might have suggestions…
And, oh, gosh, Joselito... He never grew very tall and unfortunately when his voice changed it wasn't as spectacular. (As an adult his life went quite wrong and he ended up in prison for drugs and weapons trafficking, although it seems he is now reformed)

Debbi said...

I'm sure you can put together something interesting.

1. Italy
2. 750,000,000
3. 2013
4. R.U.R. (Rossum’s Universal Robots)
5. Forbidden Planet