Friday 6 October 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 6-10-2017: The Jazz Singer.

Hmmm … 

I’m feeling vaguely rushed, this morning.

As I’ve got to go to work, early, today.

I’m also expecting a phone call.

Would you believe it, I’ve still not heard back from the interview I had, last week.

That’s got me worried: and thinking that I’ve not got the job.

I’m … 

Well … concerned.

And worried about money.

What IS a boy to do?

Except, possibly, email or go into the place, to see what’s happened.

Here’s hoping … 

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 6th October say the original release of the world’s best know early talking movie: The Jazz Singer.   In which year of the 1920s?
Q2) Which studio made and distributed the film: Universal, Warner Brothers or RKO?
Q3) The film was written by Alfred Cohn, directed by Alan Crosland: and produced by which Z?
Q4) Who was the film’s (male) star?
Q5) That star sung how many songs in the film?
Q6) Which of them was about a man kissing his girlfriend goodbye: before he gets on a train?
Q7) Before singing that song?   The main character says “You ain’t heard nothin’ …” what?
Q8) The main character is called Jack: and defies his father to become a jazz singer.   Jack’s father was a Jewish hymn singer.   These singers are what: cantors, rabbis or Haredi?
Q9) The film earned how much: $6.6 million,  $7.6 million or $8.6 million?
Q10) Finally … where was the premiere held: Hollywood, Chicago or New York?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The first Baseball World Series game to be broadcast on radio, was broadcast on 5th October.   In which year of the 1920s?
A1) 1921.
Q2) Chief Joseph and his band surrendered to US forces: on 5th October, 1877.   Which tribe was Joseph and his group from?
A2) The Nez Perce.
Q3) 5th October, 1994, saw 48 people found dead: in an apparent mass killing.   They were found in which European country?
Q4) 5th October is the feast day of Saint Francis of Assisi.   He’s the patron saint of what: animals, vegetables or minerals?
A4) Animals.
Q5) Finally … 5th october, 1919, saw the birth of actor, Donald Pleasence.   In which film did he first play Dr Sam Loomis?
A5) Halloween.
Here’s a line from the film …
“We in the show business have our religion too - on every day, the show must go on!”
Jack Robin.
And — with all due apologies to my Afro-Carribean readers — a song … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I did notice some of Lucifer’s publicity shots going past on IMDb, Olga: I have to admit to having never seen it.   I’ve a few bits I need to catch up on, myself.   As for the DVD/Blu-ray problem … ?   Hmmmm … Have you got a branch of CeX near you?   Their prices are usually quite good: if you’re selling to them in bulk.   The prices are better for blu-ray, and/or boxsets.   I’d ALSO suggest downloading a copy of a DVD/Blu-ray ripper like HandBrake‡: and using it to rip you movies before you sell them.   That way, you’ve got the films, AND have a bit of cash.   It’s simpler to use than you think!   (It’s what I did to my old DVDs.   Ripped them: then sold them to Brentwood CeX.)


†        That’s a thought, Debbi, I really should sit down with The Great Escape, I’ve not seen in it in a while!   I did see Wonder Woman, though: last night.   Remind me not to annoy Gal Gadot, Wonder Woman, herself: she hasn’t got the hang of doors, though!   (And, yeah, he was just a bit scary: that was The point, I think!)


‡        I have to turn blu-rays into .mkv 
files, first, then use HandBrake to turn them into something I can play on the AppleTV.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1927
Q2) Warner Brothers
Q3) The film was written by Alfred Cohn, directed by Alan Crosland: and produced by which Z?
Q4) Al Johnson
Q5) 6 (?) Sorry, the information was a bit vague about some of the songs
Q6) Toot, Toot, Toosie
Q7) Yet
Q8) Cantors
Q9) $7.6 million
Q10) New York City
Thanks, Paul. I hadn't thought of CeX, but there is one in Barnsley, one in Sheffield and another one in Huddersfield so I can try. I have though my DVDs and blu-rays. I will keep a few, but I have some that I haven't watched in years so not sure if I'll keep that many of them.

Debbi said...

I know it was. But I just wanted to acknowledge how GOOD he was at being creepy! :)

I still need to see Wonder Woman! It may take me a while.

1. 1927
2. Warner Brothers
3. Darryl F. Zanuck
4. Al Jolson
5. 6
6. Toot, Toot, Tootsie (Goo' Bye)
7. yet
8. cantors
9. $7.6 million
10. New York

I'm attending a film conference this weekend. Hopefully, I'll have time to check in here.

I hope you hear back about the interview soon. Fingers crossed, etc. :)