Friday 20 October 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20-10-2017: Oh, Danny Boy … !

It’s official: I’m up early, again.

And worrying I’ve not got time to do everything I want to do, before I head off to work.

Basically?   It’s Friday: so I’d like to tray and get some bills paid, before I head off!

Rush, rush … 

Rush … !

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with Olga on five out of five, and Debbi on four, the day also saw Trevor‡ offering some corrections to my questions.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 20th October, 1956, saw the birth of director, Danny Boyle.   He famously directed the opening Ceremony for what: the 2008 Olympic Games, 2012 Olympic Games or the 2014 World Cup?
Q2) Boyle released a post-apocalyptic, horror movie in 2002.   Called what?
Q3) One Boyle film — with Ewan McGregor, Robert Carlyle and Johnny Lee Miller — was set in 1990s Edinburgh.   Which Boyle film?
Q4) Which Doctor appears in Boyle film, Shallow Grave?
Q5) Finally … Danny Boyle directed Slumdog Millionaire.   The film is about a contestant on the Indian version of which quiz show?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 19th October, 1965, saw the death of US sportsman, Bart King.   What did he play: American Football, volleyball or cricket?
A1) Cricket.   (This has been corrected.)
Q2) 19th October, 2004, saw the kidnapping of aid worker, Margaret Hassan.   Whilst she was working in which country?
A2) Iraq.
Q3) 19th October is the feast day of Saint Aaron.   He’s a saint to which church: the Roman Catholic Church, the Lutherans or the Coptic Church?
A3) The Coptic Church.
Q4) 19th October, 1216, saw the death of King John of England.   Who succeeded him as King: Henry 3rd, 4th or 5th?
A4) Henry 3rd.
Q5) Finally … 19th October, 1931, saw the birth of John le Carré.   What’s the name of the most recent Le Carré novel?
A5) A Legacy of Spies.   (It’s also the most recent to feature Lincoln College’s best known Fellow: a certain Mr Smiley … )
Here’s a thought …
“I love huge movies. Not sure I am the guy to make them, but you can rely on me being there watching them.”
Danny Boyle.
And possibly the only song one could play, in a Danny Boyle themed quiz … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day!



*        I might have to, Olga^, the next time.   Trouble is … ?   The ones I use are cheap!   And emotional doesn’t even start.   I get The impression from Mum it was quite the day.   (I know I mentioned it, Olga: but I did try sitting down with Lore.   Episode two’s quite disturbing.   The medical procedure didn’t give me problems.   It was the sound effects, the assorted squelching noises, that really put me off.   I’m going to have another go at the series, I think … but I think I’ll skip epode two …)

†        That it has, Debbi: if I wanted to play the few remaining singles I’ve got, I’d need to spend a fortune.   An iPod’s cheaper!   What gets me?   Is walking into my local Sainsburys.   They’ve got a stack of old fashioned LPs near the door!

‡        It’s OK, Trevor, I’ve got them corrected …

^        Actually, I think you’re right, Olga, the sound quality seems odd.   Some bits are louder than others.   I think it’s the audio mixing: at times the sound track seemed intrusive, louder than the dialogue.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 2012 Olympic Games
Q2) 28 Days Later
Q3) Trainspotting
Q4) Christopher Eccleston (I should watch it again. I really liked it but it’s been a while).
Q5) Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
I also go for cheap models of glasses (funnily enough sometimes they seem to suit my face better than the really expensive ones. I'm not sure what that says about me, but hey...)
Yes, I don't know what it is. I still wonder if it is an intentional thing. I finished watching the last episode yesterday. Some I enjoyed (not sure it's the right word) more than others. But the degree of creepiness varies, although it's also a personal thing. (The last one is about dolls, and I don't find dolls that creepy but...) In the episode about the leucotomies, what I found most bizarre was how the guy would go totally blind, having no idea what he was severing and rummaging around people's brains. It's true that it was used on occasions to control people who were not ill. Sometimes reality is much more bizarre than fiction indeed.

trev-v said...

you are still wrong with that cricketer.

He was BORN 19 October in 1873.

He DIED 17 October in 1965.


looks like you cannot tell the difference between Birth and Death.

Debbi said...

We still have a turntable, believe it or not. But I don't think we have the doo-hickey you need to put in the middle for single records. Remember those? :)

1. 2012 Olympic Games
2. 28 Days Later
3. Trainspotting
4. Christopher Eccleston
5. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?