Friday 3 March 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 3-3-2017: In Florida

I am still — still — yawning, at the moment.

That’s even after a night on a new mattress!

Still …

I’ve tomorrow and Sunday booked off as annual leave.

Which means one thing.

I can sleep in.

Unless something drastic, like the building burning down, happens.

Which I very much doubt.

~≈†≈~

At any rate … ?

I know that the next door neighbours will be quiet.

Lynn, who lived in the flat next door for the past decade?   Has now officially moved out, and handed back her keys.

Frankly?

I’m saddened.

As she was a good neighbour: and one of the few that have lived here longer than I have.

Right at the moment, though?

Yes, I know I’ve mentioned this before now.

But I’m wondering who on Earth’s going to move into the flat, next door!


~≈†≈~
But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s Florida themed questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) Florida was admitted to the USA: on 3rd March of which year?
Q2) What’s the capital of Florida?
Q3) What’s Florida’s largest city: Tallahassee, Miami or Jacksonville?
Q4) What’s the most frequently spoken, first language in the state?
Q5) What’s the only (men’s) soccer team native to Florida?
Q6) Florida is twinned with Languedoc-Rousillon. Languedoc-Rousillon is in which European country?
Q7) Politician, Marco Rubio is from Florida.   In which year did he make an attempt to become Republican Party candidate for president?
Q8) Singer, former Bunny girl, and actress, Angela Trimble, is from Florida.   How is she better known?
Q9) Name either of the states that border Florida.
Q10) Finally … There’s a lot of alligators in a well known National Park in Florida.   WHICH National Park?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) NASA received data from the Galileo probe: on 2nd March, 1998.   The data showed that which of Jupiter’s moons had oceans, under an icy surface?
A1) Europa.   (There’s speculation that life could exist on it.)
Q2) 2nd March, 2000, saw an former leader of Chile would not be extradited to his native country.   Which former Chilean leader?
A2) General Augusto Pinochet.
Q3) Concorde’s maiden flight took place: on 2nd March, 1969.   The plane was a joint development between two countries.   Name either country.
A3) France or the UK.
Q4) A coup d’etat occurred on 2nd March, 1962: led by General Ne Win.   In which Asian nation?
A4) Burma: now called Myanmar.
Q5) Finally … Fermilab discovered the Top Quark: on 2nd March, 1995.   What IS a top quark: a sub-atomic particle, an elementary particle or a p-brane?
A5) An elementary particle.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“I believe that California is going to sink into the sea when the big one comes, while Florida is going to dissolve into madness and alligators and toxic waste.”
Neil Gaiman, American Gods.
And Florida’s anthem …


Have a good day.




*        I think he’s done the Harry Potter novels, as well, Olga: although I’m not a fan.   I’m sort of with Terry Pratchett, there: how on Earth did J. K. Rowling NOT realise she was writing fantasy?   And, ye: the new mattress was fantastic: I’m just glad I wasn’t on a fold-out one!   (I seem to recall We used to call them zed beds.)

†        Fair enough, Trevor: I’ll let you do the honours over at Wikipedia …

‡        I sure you’ll be managing multitasking as Well as you do anything else, Debbi!   Gurning’s weird.   But is less edible than the Dunmow Flitch, and a lot safer than cheese rolling!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1845
Q2) Tallahassee
Q3) Jacksonville
Q4) English (I went to a conference at Boca Raton, years back and as soon as I set foot out of the airport, the taxi driver asked me if I spoke Spanish, and I only ever spoke English during the presentation I had to give...)
Q5) Orlando City SC
Q6) France
Q7) 2016
Q8) Blondie
Q9) Alabama and Georgia
Q10) Everglades
A new narrator started working on my latest novel. I like her a lot. Let' see...

Debbi said...

Ah yes! Cheese rolling! I remember doing a post on that on one of my old, dead blogs.

1. 1845
2. Tallahassee
3. Jacksonville
4. English
5. Orlando City SC
6. France
7. He announced in 2015 and the campaign ran until 2016
8. Debbie Harry
9. Georgia
10. the Everglades National Park